May 20, 2007

Iraq (ii)

I offer further clarification on my position in relation to Iraq. Fundamentally, I support the Bush administrations objectives in Iraq; I do not however back the current tactics proposed in order to achieve such objectives. This should not be interpreted as my being in support of Bush’s political opponents, or, for that matter, support for timed troop withdrawals.

In my Iraq (I) post, I referred to a new stratagem whereby equal emphasis be placed on militarism and diplomacy.

Keeping America strong means much more than sustaining its present ‘military-industrial- congressional-apparatus’. Iraqi society and the current situation on the ground – its ideological extremists, hidden stakes, (vested interests) and foreign operations – is too complex for mere troop number increases.

I am an Australian, an outsider looking in and what I see sometimes concerns me.

I see ever-increasing military spending without sufficient checks, which equates to nearly a trillion per year (that is some 40% of every tax dollar!). I see looming trade and fiscal deficits that make the USA the planets largest net debtor nation, I see problems ahead for the civilian economy where the impact of war and Pentagon spending will eventually force inflation and interest rates up, slow economic growth and reduce employment. I see the constant militarization of foreign policy, which has led to a weakened State Department – a department that although well funded, appears less relevant to policy development than it has ever been.

I see an administration that is somewhat unmindful of congressional oversight, an administration bending to the will of a military establishment, and outcomes of National Security Council meetings.

America too is complex, keeping it and its democracy strong requires more than defense spending even though the latter has a critically important role to play.

Without proper checks and balances, America may soon become its own worse enemy. So keep the military establishment robust, but with a balanced degree of Government equilibrium.

Share and recommend: Digg it

2 comments:

Rodrigo said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lauren said...

Well you have, yet again, sparked another thought of mine that carried over into a new post. Check it out. www.prideofamerica.wordpress.com