January 6, 2008

Glorious Guardians of Freedom

"Granted, this site will eventually vanish, being ephemeral in a very real sense of the word, but at least for a time it can serve as a tiny record of my contributions to the world."

Occasionally one comes across those kinds of posts that leave one in awe at the bravery, dedication and out-and-out allegiance of those willing to sacrifice all to defend our freedoms, our way of life. Truly amazing young men and woman serving America’s, and indeed the world’s interests in far away terrains.

One such post about a certain Maj. Andrew J. Olmsted, 37, of Colorado Springs, Colo. who sadly along with Cpt. Thomas J. Casey, 32, of Albuquerque, N.M. “died Jan. 3 in, As Sadiyah, Iraq, of wounds suffered when insurgents attacked their unit using small arms fire during combat operations. Both Soldiers were assigned to the Military Transition Team, 1st Brigade, 1st Infantry Division, Fort Riley, Kansas.”

Major Andrew J Olmsted had a blog and on it, left us an, 'in case of my death post' – like Flag Gazer, I draw your attention to this amazing young man and post:

“I suppose I should speak to the circumstances of my death. It would be nice to believe that I died leading men in battle, preferably saving their lives at the cost of my own. More likely I was caught by a marksman or an IED. But if there is an afterlife, I'm telling anyone who asks that I went down surrounded by hundreds of insurgents defending a village composed solely of innocent women and children. It'll be our little secret, ok?”

“…while you're free to think whatever you like about my life and death, if you think I wasted my life, I'll tell you you're wrong. We're all going to die of something. I died doing a job I loved. When your time comes, I hope you are as fortunate as I was.”

"I write this in part, admittedly, because I would like to think that there's at least a little something out there to remember me by. Granted, this site will eventually vanish, being ephemeral in a very real sense of the word, but at least for a time it can serve as a tiny record of my contributions to the world."

Read the whole post here

They are now walking with the master, God bless them and their families…

Comments appreciated…

9 comments:

MK said...

"....I went down surrounded by hundreds of insurgents defending a village composed solely of innocent women and children. It'll be our little secret, ok?"

What the world seldom remembers is that, that is not too far from reality. He is a product of a noble people and a noble nation. Bless his soul and thank you Lord for letting him and others like him walk amongst us for so long.

Aurora said...

Otto, fine post. And what a heroic young man he was. It's the people like him who gave their lives for the freedoms that much lesser people enjoy today. Thanks for posting this.

Flag Gazer said...

Farewell, noble warriors, and walk with God.

WomanHonorThyself said...

I had read this as well Otto..sigh..thank u for posting.........

American Interests said...

mk: Good comments thanks, "seldom remembers", seldom acknowledges...

aurora: thanks for comng by

flag gazer: Thanx for yours was the source..

http://gazingattheflag.blogspot.com/

angel: thank u

Lauren said...

What a great reminder that the men and women fighting overseas are just like us.

Far too often we categorize them as mere fighting machines or rote soldiers, but they are no different than us. They work hard as we do. They have families. They have dreams, desires, and goals. They enjoy life and yes, even fear death.

The blog of this young man has given us a glimpse into the real, everyday life of one of the people who are defending our freedoms. It is time we stop viewing each casualty as a statistic and start viewing them as our comrades.

Great post Otto. One that will not soon be forgotten.

American Interests said...

Lauren:
http://prideofamerica.wordpress.com

"It is time we stop viewing each casualty as a statistic and start viewing them as our comrades." Well said and thanx for expressing your thoughts here...

Tapline said...

AI, Great tribute.....We owe much to those fallen and those still living....stay well.....

American Interests said...

tap: you stay will to and thanx for coming by...