December 3, 2008

China under Obama: An Interview with Otto Marasco

Transcript
27 November 2008
07:45PM

E & OE

Subject: China and Obama

LISA MOLINARO: Joining me today is Otto Marasco who is the owner and author of the blog, American Interests and in the short time, we have left, we are asking about China in relation to America under Obama’s Presidency. Otto, on the question of China during the recent Presidential campaigning, we felt that the subject was a non-starter; does it mean that China will figure less in the new administration?

OTTO: Well, I had expected China to be a bigger issue that it was during the campaign especially given the concerns many Americans have over the impact of Globalization, and its impact on their economy, and perhaps this could have evolved into more debate about trade and investment issues in relation to both nations, not to mention China’s arms buildup. As I saw it, there was little of that, certainly hardly as much as I would have thought, however I do believe the odds are overwhelming that there will be essentially continuity in American policy toward China. On that very question, I would recommend that in fact, it does stay the course in terms of overall strategy toward China, but I think it important that Obama also engage with Chinese leaders early in the new administration, having said that I am not suggesting that Obama should personally visit; I don’t see that as a necessity. Now with APEC having just concluded in Peru, I think and would hope, that plans are made by senior U.S. officials to visit China early in Obama’s first term, alternatively the upcoming G20, in 2009 may provide an opportunity.

LISA: Your thoughts on how Asia will receive Obama generally….

OTTO: Well I so think he will be embraced, which underlines the goodwill already in place for Obama but it also means that there are going to be very high expectations because like it or not, there are some big issues to be inherited. For example, Obama is not going to be able to get out of Iraq immediately, unless it’s achieved in an irresponsible manner and I cannot see that happen. Then we have Guantanamo, is he really going to close it, and if so, what is to be done with those that were detained there? Finally, and by way of example, the financial crises is being blamed on America, these are just some of the problems which won’t go away overnight, so given that expectations are high, Obama may be a casualty of such.

LISA: On other nations, turning away from America as their protector in favor of China and should that concern the Americans?

I am assuming you are talking about traditional American allies like us here in Australia, somehow gravitating toward China at America’s expense. Let me say this, nations like Australia will not in fact turn away from America and its protection or security shield anytime soon, if anything because of issues of compatibility in terms of values and way of life, so I don’t see it happening. America is sure to remain engaged in the region and while I also understand what was suggested in discussions prior to interview about somehow the Democrats being the party most interested in Atlantic issues whereas Republicans are conceived as being equally interested in the Pacific, still though, I feel certain that America will remain sufficiently engaged in the region under the Presidency of Obama. On the question of whether it would concern Washington, I feel it’s only logical that it would, but having said that, there is no evidence to suggest that it’s likely to occur.

LISA: We need to leave it there. Otto, thanks for your time today, maybe we can continue this another time.

OTTO: Feel free to ask, always available.

ENDS

Related Links:

APEC – Asia Pacific economic Cooperation
APEC Peru 2008
G20 Major Economies
China and the US Presidential Election
Hopes and fears about Obama in Asia
Asian American Reaction to the Presidential Election
Obama's South Asia challenges
Obama's Asia focus faces early scrutiny

15 comments:

Always On Watch said...

Off topic....Thanks for blogrolling my site. Will return the favor when I get the opportunity to access my template.

And thanks for your comment to my Sheba posting. We had a very rough weekend giving palliative care to Sheba. I miss her so much!

The Lonely Conservative said...

Otto, if only Americans knew as much about American government as you do!! Keep up the great work.

GrEaT sAtAn'S gIrLfRiEnD said...

Great analysis Otto, your regime changin', syntax manglin' sometimes scary sometimes crazy cuzses figure on staying engaged on a global scale, especially with our cuzses down under yonder.

Jungle Mom said...

China is also being embraced here in South America. Especially by Venezuela. China and Venezuela recently launched the first 'Venezuelan' satellite.

Robert said...

Otto, I personally appreciate your support for America, and I echo the comment about how nice it would be if Americans were as engaged in our country as you...

Thanks for visiting the new site. I asked Jenn to blogroll you today! You are on both of our old blogs, and I apologize for not getting your link transferred to the new one. A terrible oversight on our part.

Robert said...

I am an idiot sometimes...Jenn is way ahead of me and you have already been blogrolled.

Robert said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
DD2 aka Debonair Dude said...

Great job, that was very interesting.
Keep ut this great work

AI said...

Always on Watch: Thanks, take one day at a time over Sheba, I can almost feel the emotions back of the comment, no doubt it is hard...

The Lonely Conservative: Appreciate that!

GSGF: Keep up the good work at your end, it's a fascinating site...

Jungle Mom: Thanks and if I'm ever in your end of the woods I know where to go for sweets...

AI said...

Robert: It - support for America - comes naturally for me, pleased to be on your blogroll.

DD2: Kind of you to visit, will return the favor soon...

WomanHonorThyself said...

bravo my friend..well done indeed!

David Schantz said...

Otto,

Great post as always. I'm thinking your one of the best spokespersons the United States has ever had.

God Bless America, God Save The Republic.

MK said...

Yeah well done Otto. I hope you are right that America won't disengage, the thought of having to depend on commies just doesn't sit well with me.

Then again it might force us to wake up and start looking after ourselves.

Z said...

Otto, I'm glad to see some new bloggers to your site here!...you and MK's blogs are excellent and are more wise toward America than some Americans...but not most of this crowd. Great bloggers all!
I hope you're right about Australia sticking with us. Sometimes I think it's more about money now than values. But, hopefully, not for Australians.

When our left seems so delighted in our losing our 'world power' status I realize they don't have a clue that that void will be filled. Do leftists around the world want that to be China or Russia? Are they NUTS?

Tapline said...

Otto, Great Post.....and I echo the sentiments of others, it's great to have you as an anchor for American values and positive voice for our country, down under....stay well, my friend...