December 28, 2008

Obama’s Christmas visit to the Marine Corps is a positive...

Obama got this right but ...


Obama went to Marine Corps Base Hawaii Kaneohe Bay on Oahu where he mingled with Marines and sailors. Obama and the troops had a traditional dinner including turkey, roast beef, ham and trimmings. The future Commander in Chief spent an hour at the base, going from table to table shaking as many hands as he could.

Obama settles into military role wrote Reuters; quite frankly I’m not willing to go that far however, it’s my gut feeling that the visit was sincere.

As Hugh Hewitt said here:

a fine gesture of appreciation for the military he will soon be leading ...

Stephan Tawney made an interesting comment about the visit:

Respectful as is expected, but absent the usual clapping and cheering one comes to expect. Sometimes silence can be louder than words.

Obama got this right, he is the next President and Commander in Chief, and this in itself denotes so much. It is our hope that in the context of this undertaking he too understands, just how much …

Related: I'm with Hugh on this one

6 comments:

Always On Watch said...

I read elsewhere that BHO's reception by the Marines was a bit cool, filled with "stony silence."

I do wish that BHO had shown this kind of support of our troops during his campaign. He didn't as far as I know.

MK said...

"....a fine gesture of appreciation for the military he will soon be leading ..."

Make that a fine gesture of appreciation for the fine military he will soon be leading ...

Tapline said...

Otto, He will get the respect that his office demands and I don't think much more.....From what I have read, he was received respectfully and no more.....stay well and have a prosperous New year....

Donald Douglas said...

Ottavio!

I wrote on this as well. Obama made the right gesture, but he's got a lot of ground to make up, given his long history of indifference - if not hostility - to the military.

Be well...

The Liberal Lie The Conservative Truth said...

The silence was the most telling aspect of the visit.

I agree the military will give the office the respect because it is their duty, but the damage he has done as a person will not garner the cheers or enthusiasm as they have had with President Bush.

It will be a cool salute as it was with Bill Clinton except I think it will be even cooler with Obama.

WomanHonorThyself said...

sorry I dont buy it..its all for show my friend!