January 17, 2009

American Interests: Why bother…

American Interests is my contribution, one that hopefully forms part of the sum and substance of all World Wide Web content that sings the same tune ...

While displaying decipherable sum of sincerity and empathy a friend recently enquired as to why I bother with blogging. What he was really questioning was the degree to which one could effect change or have any meaning through a one in a 150 million blog or in my case, two blogs. Referring to my efforts to alter the course of opinion in relation to climate change policies in Australia, and stimulating positive discourse vis-à-vis America and its interests to our world on this blog, it was suggested that, “in reality” it remains beyond the reach and influence of mere individuals sitting at their desks at home. The ensuing discussion brought to mind a couple of old parables.

A shoe factory sends two marketing scouts to a region of Africa to study the prospects of expanding business. One sends back a telegram saying, situation hopeless stop no one wears shoes. The other writes back triumphantly, glorious business opportunity stop they have no shoes.
I hazard to guess that I would NOT be the marketing expert to view the circumstances, what is, as evidence that points to hopelessness.

… a man catches sight of a young women who appears to be engaged in a ritual dance. She stoops down, then straightens to her full height, casting her arm out in an arc. Drawing closer, he sees that the beach around her is litered with starfish, and she is throwing them one by one into the sea. He lightly mocks her: “There are stranded starfish as far as the eye can see, for miles up the beach. What a difference can saving a few of them possibly make?” Smiling, she bends down and once more tosses a starfish out over the water, saying serenely, “It certainly makes a difference to this one.
American Interests.blog may be a small one-man show, but as its faithful author I rather see it as a pointer to abundance and possibility; a way of making a difference, albeit a small one. Approaching the task with my own, very individual perspective that focuses on potential, a way to make a difference and not what stands in the way. The man in the second parable sees only the obstacles, the countless starfish (number of other bloggers), efforts futile, lack of resources, too difficult…not enough time…

American Interests is my contribution, one that hopefully forms part of the sum and substance of all World Wide Web content that sings the same tune. To this end, I know I am not alone and yet, even if I were that one in a zillion, I would remain undeterred, perhaps even more inspired. Here is another gem to consider.

Four young men sit by the bedside of their dying father. The old man, with his last breath, tells them there is a huge treasure buried in the family fields. The sons crowd around him crying, "Where, where?" but it is too late. The day after the funeral and for many days to come, the young men go out with their picks and shovels and turn the soil, digging deeply into the ground from one end of each field to the other. They find nothing and, bitterly disappointed, abandon the search. The next season the farm had its best harvest ever.
American Interests.blog is not an arena of and for success alone, more accurately and in the first instance, it is a place of contribution. Can anyone guess the book from which the parables were lifted? Finally, to those reading this, don't forget to say Hi, perhaps subscribe to the feed, or add this blog to your Technorati favorites. Help us to prove my friend wrong; a "Hi" will do just fine...

17 comments:

Debbie said...

When I started Right Truth, it was to share information about terrorism to others. I've found that still holds true, but I post for me. I post what strikes me as important, funny, whatever. I had someone tell me I was wasting my time, because they could get anything I posted in the media.

I knew right away they were nuts, because the media never posts what you and I do, they are too PC.

Debbie Hamilton
Right Truth

Donald Douglas said...

Debbie really catches the spirit. Readers tell me I've strengthened their lives.

Ottavio, you make a differnce, so keep it up!

Brian, aka Nanoc, aka Norski said...

"Hi"

From another "small one-man show." Like you, I wouldn't be blogging if I didn't think it made a difference. Thoughtful, fact-based blogs like this do attract readers. And, the ideas they introduce - or reinforce - do, I believe, make a difference.

And, despite conventional wisdom, the notion that America must lead isn't a quaint belief held by the uneducated and ill-informed. (Shameless plug follows) In "Famous People Say America Must Lead" (September 23, 2008), I quote from CNN Special Correspondent Frank Sesno: "Get real. Be smart. The world is a complicated place. America has to lead."

He was summarizing the opinions of five former American secretaries of state.

Finally, thanks for maintaining American Interests, and it's been good to see you posting again.

AI said...

Debbie: On matters PC will fill a void, your blog in particular; keep up the good work and thanks for saying Hi

AI said...

Donald: The emails I have recieved also suggest positive connotations for readers and interested parties alike. Thanks for saying Hi...

AI said...

Brian: "Another War-On-Terror Blog" http://anotherwaronterrorblog.blogspot.com/
Thanks for the wise words, I could not envision America not leading…You are doing a fine job at yours....

Layla said...

I have had four blogs. All with a different motive and reason for existing. There is a time to know when one is wasting their time, and when is truly contributing. The secret I found is to find out what is truly important to you and write about that.

You can have all the feed readers, commenters, a famous little blog, but if your heart is not there or you are burned out it will fail.

I needed to move on, re-invent my blog, it's meaning and purpose. After four years of complete political blogging and political freelance writing, some of which I earned my living off of I became burned out and just sick of it all.

I wondered what was wrong. For me it was the moral aspect in life missing from society that drove me to write the things I wrote politically. So now, at The Moral Compass I do not limit myself to just politics as before, but I - excuse the phrase, "Heinz 57'd" myself to include more issues related to our social morality and our belief in God tempered with politics or whatever the interest of that day took me and lead me to write because it was what I believed in, or was totally against.

Success - I was Pajamas Media Network and they were Snobs. I do not want that sort of success that brings elitism. I do not want my recognition to come from men or women, but from God.

That is why I began my new blog The Moral Compass. I always said Otto at The Hill Chronicles, which was the motto, "Change is the only constant."

Do not ever let others measure your success or question what you know is right.

You are a winner by me my friend! :)

Tapline said...

Otto, Hi! Well, that's what you asked that we say...so...Hi! Of course you make a difference, as we all do. anyway that is what I say to myself. I have just about given up on my Political elites though....They are not listening and the sheeple are mesmarized or something. It's like someone has been giving sublimital messages and they are being swayed by them....Just down a little...I'll get over it in time, but honestly, If somone after reading your post question why, I say,,,where are they coming from...Your analysis is always spot on and your topics are alwys something pertinant to here and now....stay well and keep writing....As the song goes" It only takes a spark". so you be that spark....

AI said...

Layla: An emotive reason to blog is at least as important as reasons pertaining to the logic of one’s argument and the blogs raison d'être. How true that change is the only constant, I do recall these words at the Hill Chronicles … In my case, I have no compelling drive to stop championing the good of America, indeed just reading thorough MSM print, and listening to the ignorance of speech out there only induces a greater urgency to continue. I cannot boast any success of the like of Pajamas Media and I probably never will but this will never dilute the sense of importance in what I do here. I know I’m a winner but its great to read that you think so too…many thanks…

AI said...

Tap: Happy to be the spark and the catalyst for further discourse with regards to American hegemony….as always your comments are appreciated …

Bloviating Zeppelin said...

Do not stop. I shall not stop. This is a place where one can come to read a very important perspective precisely NOT from America and that is VERY important. It is important that your views are expressed and, for Americans, it is important for us to realize we are not so alone in the world and that there is still some sanity left on the planet.

Do not stop. I shall not stop.

BZ

Richard Phillip Nere said...

The blog is amenable to exchanging ideas. For this reason, the blog is great. In fact, I would like to write for the blog one day. In conceding all this, I would hope the blog continued to pontificate on American interests, as it were.

WomanHonorThyself said...

hi hi hi !!!...your site is immensely crucial especially NOW when we need voices who not only opine but actually offer TRUTH AND FACTS to dispute the lying mainstream media!
HAPPY SUNDAY to you!..and know..I read every post u write my friend!!!..(hugs)

Karen said...

Hi, Otto!
I continue to blog even though I am but a small, bit player. Writing is a necessity for my sanity, it seems. I write about politics because it is my passion. I burn out occassionally and take a break for a day or three, but then I feel I'll explode if I don't put something out there.

AI said...

BZ: Appreciate the support there, although I hope the post didn't give anyone the impression that "stopping" was the intention...

Richard Phillip Nere: When you generate an article you feel worthy of publication here do not hesitate to drop us a line...

AI said...

Thanks Angel!

Karen: Writing as a need to express and share an opinion; I know the feeling...thanks for coming by...

Vince said...

Thank U for sharing...



___________________

Vince

Save OVER 50% for 3 months,Save $21/mo for an Entire Year!* on your Favorite Channels